Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Eve Fishing

Yesterday (Dec 24, 2010) I had the day off from work; so I decided to try sitting in the hotspot at the bank in the morning since my dad had been seeing deer there lately.  I brought both my gun and bow, hoping for an opportunity to take one more with my bow, but willing to shoot one with my gun if not given the chance with the bow.  Unfortunately, I didn’t have the same luck as my dad, who has shot 3 deer in the last few weeks.  I had the same luck that brother Chad has been having; I did see any deer.  About 15 Turkey came in at about but that was it.

I decided I was ready for a change of scenery; so when my friend and expert fisherman Dave Ash gave me a call to see if I want to do some steelhead fishing in the morning, I didn’t hesitate to take him up on the offer.  Christmas Eve morning on the Kalamazoo River in Douglas was the perfect change of scenery I needed.  It was a beautiful morning.  As we sat and waited for the first bite of the morning we watched the sun rise and listened to the coyotes calling back and forth.  One of the nicest parts about the morning was that we were fairly secluded from other fishermen because the spot we fished was not easily accessible.  We had to wear waders in order to get where we were going to set up. 

Although the fishing was a little slow, according to Dave’s standards, I had a great time just enjoying nature on the ice shelf that had formed on the side of the river.  We went 1 for 3 that morning, and I hoping it is the first of many mornings like it.   


1 comment:

Chad and Amber Kraker said...

I have a good feeling that 2011 will be my year for river fishing. I'm going to break my 29 year drought.